Oxygen facials are finally available at Skin Studio By Megan. Oxygen facials have gained a huge celebrity following for their amazing rejuvenating and restorative actions. They plump the skin and give a glowy appearance making it perfect for events. Oxygen facials can be used on any skin type. Due to the germicidal acton, it makes this procedure extremely beneficial for any one with acne & also rosacea. The lightening & vascoconstricting capabilities give instant results. Oxygen facials are quick, easy and pleasant. Oxygen is essential to life and keeping skin looking young & healthy. The end result is clear & luminous skin with a feeling of firmness. You can repeat as often as weekly.
-increases skin function
-skin lightening agent improves scars and lightens sun damage
-stimulates fibroblasts to produce more collagen in the dermis
-oxygen kills bacteria
Hi everyone I am SO excited to announce a new product line coming to Skin Studio By Megan. Viktoria De Ann products are top of the line. These line of peptide treatments will soon be taking over Skin Studio By Megan. After sampling the products for several weeks on clients and myself, the results are amazing & I cannot wait to share these products with you.
What are peptides? Peptides are one of the best ingredients for age management. These active molecules work by penetrating the top layer of the skin and sending specific signals to our cells to let them know how to function. Each peptide helps the skin to achieve a specific result, whether you desire more collagen, need to tone, lift, correct, hydrate, etc. Each peptide in your regimen can and will yield significant, visible changes within the skin when used in a routine. These peptides send specific messages to the skin and target the dermal growth areas of the skin producing positive changes within the layers of the epidermis. Viktoria De'Ann Peptide Cosmeceuticals provide cumulative results that don't plateau leaving your skin in optimum health. Here are a few of the products from this line I will be offering...
LIFT: Tightens the cellular tension of the cell structure and literally tightens and lifts neck, jowls, cheeks, eyes... wherever it is applied. $70
TONE: Relax that forehead of yours! A natural muscle relaxer and is an excellent alternative to BOTOX. If you have botox, this will help make it last longer. I am loving this product so far & can really tell a difference in my forehead. $70
REJUVENATE: Initiates cellular responses of repair and regeneration. $70
EYE SERUM: Reduces puffiness and dark circles & firms delicate skin around the eye area. This serum is what sold me on this line. The signs of aging (stress, puffiness, and dark circles) are reduced to improve the appearance of the skin. Acting as an antioxidant and optimizing hydration, green tea extract and soluble collagen are complimentary actives to the UET-3 peptide complex. It is my new favorite eye product & you all know how picky I am with eye creams/serums. $38
I'm in LOVE with this product line and you will be too! I am also testing out their lash growth serum. You guys know I love my GrandeLash MD, so I am testing this out to see if it is better. It is more pricey ($90 compared to Grande at $65). I will bring it on as well depending on results but so far I am seeing more growth! I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on this line.
November is National Healthy Skin Month! Which means Skin Studio By Megan will be giving out daily tips for your skin. Follow these tips & tricks for happy, healthy, youthful & glowing skin!
1) Don't skip your SPF.
2) Don't drink from a straw, it will create wrinkles around the mouth.
3) Exfoliate 1-3 times per week, depending on your skin type. Ask your esthetician how often you should exfoliate.
4) Make sure you have a product with Hyualoronic Acid in your skincare regimen.
5) Drink more water. Hydrate from the inside out. More water means less breakouts, redness and gives a glow to the skin.
6) Stop going to the tanning bed.
7) Get your skin glowing with greens. Eat more dark leafy veggies or drink them with juices.
8) It is never too early to start a good skincare regimen. Treatments with your esthetician only go so far...you must have good home care. Think about if you work out a few times a week but eat like crap...not good results.
9) Don't squeeze your pimples. Most of the time you are only making it worse...leading to scabbing, scarring, bleeding & inflammation.
10) Eat and drink your antioxidants. They fight free radicals (the bad guys). Green tea is a great form.
11) Add a form of retinol to your regimen. Retinol, retin-A, tretinion is a topical form of vitamin A. It desquamates the follicle lining...AKA turns over your skin cells faster. This is a process that slows down as we age...our goal is to speed it back up!
12) Moisturize your lips. A good cheap way is aquafor....it is amazing for dry, cracked lips.
13) Add a few drops of liquid chlorophyll to water to combat breakouts.
14) Oily skin ladies...use salicylic acid, either treatments or in your home care. It dissolves oil & helps with breakouts.
15) Get an enzyme treatment...I LOVE these. Enzyme treatments help break down the cornfield layer, "opens" pores & softens solified sebum.
16) Commit to a good daily gentle cleanser. It is also nice to throw a treatment cleanser in 1-3 times a week. I love the Skin Script Glycolic Acid Cleanser.
17) Use luke warm water when cleansing your skin & showering. Extremely hot water will dry out your skin.
18) Use an eye cream or serem...prevent those crows feet before they begin.
19) Get monthly facials, chemical peels or microdermabrasions. It is like a workout for your skin. Also getting monthly treatments helps speed up that cellular turnover rate we talked about earlier.
20) Use a good mask 1-3 times per week.
21) Address gut health. Adding a daily probiotic can really help the skin clear up & have a nice glow.
22) Get a good amount of sleep.
23) Clean your makeup brushes.
24) Toss your makeup wipes....80% of them are terrible for the skin. Swap these out for micellar cleansing water.
25) Get a high frequency treatment. High frequency kills bacteria, soothes skin, minimizes redness, decongests puffy eyes, stimulates cell renewal, calms inflammation, speeds up the healing process. This only takes a few minutes and is the bomb for busting breakouts.
26) You must be using a Vitamin C in your home care regimen. Vitamin C used topically tightens, lightens & brightens the skin. It is packed full of antioxidants leaving a healthy glow. It also protects from sun damage (still need to use a SPF) & helps reverse old damage. Check out one of my favorite Vitamin C products on this blog post ----> CLICK HERE
27) Add Omega 3's to your skincare routine to help fight inflammation that leads to breakouts and for a healthy glow.
28) Don't forget to use skincare products on your neck, chest & hands. They age too!
29) Peel away pigmentation...don't be afraid of chemical peels.
30) Give yourself an ice facial. Wrap an ice cube in a paper towels & rub over your face. It helps with redness, decreases the appearance of the pores, decreases breakouts, and gives an amazing glow.
I love a good mask just as much as I love a good exfoliating scrub. Skin Scripts Retinol Exfoliating Scrub/Mask gives me both for the price of one. EVERYONE should be using a form of topical Vitamin A (retinol, retin-A, tretinoin) in their home care skin routine. Why is topical Vitamin A so important to our skin? It helps promote a healthy cellular turnover, unclogs pores, boosts collagen to reduce fine lines, evens discoloration, smothers & resurfaces skin. Most women as soon as early twenties will benefit from adding a retinol product to their routine.
Skin Scripts 2% Retinol Exfoliating Scrub/Mask with Kojic and Malic Acid
Functions: This scrub exfoliates while brightening to promote a clear, healthy skin tone. It is a powerful cellular turnover scrub. It also encourages the breakup of blackheads. Kojic lightens age and sun spots & blemishes from scars.
Recommended For: All skin types as an exfoliant. Great for aging and acne.
How to use: After cleansing, apply a thin layer and allow the active ingredients to penetrate into the skin for 5-10 minutes. Add a minimal amount of water and work in circular motions to exfoliate the skin. Remove completely with water. Use this 2-3 times per week, depending on your skin type. If dryness occurs, reduce usage. For a booster, cleanse with glycolic cleanser then add this mask over top. Steam up for 10 minutes in the shower, then gently remove in circular motions.
-resurfaces and refines skin
-lessens visible aging
-provides chemical and physical exfoliation
-promotes collagen synthesis
-assists in healing and rejuvenating.
Jojoba Beads- provide physical exfoliation and gently buffs away dead surface debris. Leaves behind jojoba esters which is a moisture retaining component of natural skin sebum.
Kojic Acid 2%- lightens skin discolorations, slows the production of melanin and assets in maintaining the desired skin coloration after aggressive depigmentation treatments.
Retinol- dissolves keratinization, resurfaces and smoothes the skin, stimulates collagen production to improve skin quality and youthfulness.
Citrus Medica Limonum (lemon)- is astringent, purifying, toning, brightening, promotes a taught toned skin tissue.
Malic Acid- enhances desquamation of the stratum corneum and improves the appearance of the skin.
Get this product into your weekly routine. Available at Skin Studio By Megan. This product is $43 and usually lasts me at least 3 months since it is used sparingly. This is definitely a staple product and a best seller.
Todays post in on how to achieve the best lash lift. Lash Lifts are an amazing service if provided by a great lash artist. A lash lift permanently curls your own natural lash by lifting them up & out. A lift will last until all the lashes fall out naturally (generally 6-12 weeks). We typically shed 1-5 lashes per day. Make sure your lash artist has lots of before & afters showing their work. The biggest problem with lifting lashes is some artists don't separate the lashes on the rod properly. See photo below.
Here are some tips for better lifts:
-Using a lash growth serum will make your natural lashes longer, thicker & fuller, resulting in a better lift. I love and retail GrandeLash MD $65. If you have short and brittle lashes, use a serum 8 weeks before getting a lift.
-Do not use waterproof mascara the week of your lift, before the lift & after. It is really tough on the lashes and hard to remove.
-Avoid wearing eye makeup for 24 hours after the lift.
-Tinting the lashes (darkens natural lash) will make the lashes appear longer...resulting in a better lift.
-Don't touch or play with the lashes after the lift.
-no steam, heat, saunas, water, oils, lotion, shampoo, face wash, makeup remover wipes for a minimum of 24 hours after the lift. This will cause the lift to fall. Be careful even cooking (boiling water, grill, etc.).
-try not to side sleep
-avoid oily face washes, this will cause lift to drop prematurely
Lashes should always be dried before leaving the appointment. Water will weigh down and cause the lift to drop. I always fan dry clients lashes before they leave.
Here are some of my favorite lifts I have personally done at Skin Studio By Megan in Lexington, KY.
Inflammation is part of the bodies immune system. When inflammation is out of control, it can damage the body. Foods with sugar and saturated fat can spark inflammation. We all know inflammation leads to breakouts and makes them worse, as well as other skin conditions. So lets chat about the foods that reduce inflammation. Hit the grocery store and stock up on these items:
Those are some of my favorites that are easy to add into your diet. Smoothies & juicing can be amazing for reducing inflammation & can combine several anti-inflammatory foods. What are your favorite anti-inflammatory foods? Email me at email@example.com to chat more.
Arnica Montana is a game changer to help with bruising, swelling, aches & pains.
Arnica is an herb used for bruises, swelling, aches & pains. This magical supplement is not only good for fillers/botox injections but great for the following:
Arnica is one of the best remedies available to heal bruises faster, speeding up the process of healing. It also sends more white blood cells to repair bruising.
How to use it:
Arnica comes in oral form or a topical gel. The topical form is great to rub on sore muscles. For oral supplements, you simply dissolve them under the tongue. Most recommend using arnica 4 days before and 4 days after injections.
I recently had a terrible bruise on my knee, thanks to arnica it healed quickly. This also helps relieve my shoulder pain and inflammation.
Other Tips For Limiting Bruising with injections:
-avoid aspirin & NSAIDS
Keep in mind I am NO doctor hah, so check with your doctor before taking any supplements.
Today's post is all about my top two cleansers that can be used daily without irritating or drying out the skin. With so many cleansers out there it is hard to pick a good one that is full of active ingredients and healthy for our skin. I have tried hundreds on cleansers being an esthetician & using different brands throughout the years. Cleanser is one product that is worth spending some money on and investing in a good quality cleanser. I also have a few favorite treatment cleansers....check out my post on Skin Scripts Glycolic cleanser HERE....but todays post is everyday cleansers.
1) Skin Scripts Green Tea Citrus Antioxidant Cleanser
This cleanser smells amazing & is great at removing makeup. This is a foamy, gentle cleansing option that protects the skin from cellular damage while improving clarity and tone. This is targeted for all skin types including rosacea and sensitive.
-clarifies and purges
-maintains healthy cell function
-protects bacterial attacks
-provides cellular protection from free radicals
Try this cleanser out for only $26.50
2) iS Clinical Cleansing Complex
This cleanser gently resurfaces, is anti-acneic and deep cleansing. This one is my all time favorite cleanser that I can use daily. This is a lightweight gel cleanser that also removes makeup. This is great for all skin types. I LOVE this for acne-prone or congested skin.
-deep-cleanses without drying
-helps control acne breakouts
-minimizes pore size
-smoothes & softens
-excellent for shaving
This cleanser is a little bit pricey than the first ($40) but a little goes a long way.
Have any questions about cleansers? Contact Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org
I have SO many clients come in for facials, peels, or microdermabrasion and they just had botox injected two days ago. This is a huge NO NO. I always want to go shame the person who injected them for not explaining after care and what should not be done after injections. This is my inspiration for today's post which is all about treatment timelines. I will put some common treatments down below and give a timeline for before and/or after.
Botox & Dysport:
Before- most treatments can be done right before botox...always ask when booking appointment for injections if its okay to do if you recently had a big procedure done
After- Do not do any treatments of any kind for two weeks after being injected with dysport or botox. Many doctors suggest different time lines but always play it safe for about two weeks post treatment. Getting a facial is definitely not worth getting a droopy eyelid from doing it too soon after getting injected.
Do not do anything for at least two weeks after fillers. This aftercare is pretty much the same as botox. However, if you still have bruising and swelling I would continue to hold off on treatments like facials, peels or microdermabrasion.
Before- No injections, exfoliating treatments, lasers, or invasive treatments for at least two weeks before. Also hold off on exfoliating products such as scrubs, retin-A, benzoyl peroxide, acne topical products, retinol, or any harsh products for 5-7 days before treatments. If it is your first time getting a Microderm, stop exfoliating at least 7-10 days before.
After- No harsh exfoliating products, harsh topical creams, or treatments for about a week.
My all time best selling product is Skin Scripts Glycolic/Retinol Pads. These pads are good for every skin type (except sensitive) and help out with so many skin issues. What I love about these pads is how simple they are. Cleanse your skin, then simply wipe the pad all over the face....viola! Simple as that. These pads are designed to gently and progressively renew the skin to provide brightening, clarifying and restoring benefits to all skin types in need of perfecting. The best part is...these bad boys are only $22.50
Hyperpigmentation, melasma, oily & acneic skin.
How to use:
For pore refinement or acneic skin use 2-3 times per week.
For melasma or hyperpigmentation, spot treat 2 times per day directly onto pigmentation. Reduce use after pigmentation has lightened.
-provides surface renewal and resurfacing
-prevents future breakouts
-assists in anti-wrinkle actions
This product is perfect for those who's skin cannot tolerate prescription retin-A. This still provides the same benefits just in a more gentle way. This product is so simple, so easy, so cheap & provides amazing results. I literally cannot keep these on my shelf. Tip: Clean scissors with rubbing alcohol and cut pads in half to save more product. A half a pad usually will cover my whole face. I also love to use these on my neck, chest & hands. Anywhere that has pigmentation....these pads will go. If you are interested in trying these best seller pads, contact me to get a sample.
Face Reality is an acne training program along with products & treatments. Taking this course and becoming an acne specialist has changed the game & help me learn so much about acne. This program is meant to be completed with Face Reality home care, in office treatments every 2 weeks and lifestyle/dietary changes. I wanted to discuss Face Reality peels in todays blog post. I will do another post soon featuring more about the program & home care. Face Reality is proven to get you clear when using home care & in office peels. I cannot guarantee you will get clear if you are only doing the in office treatments. It is crucial to combine these peels with home care. However I do have a few clients who opt to only do the peel & are loving the results. All my clients (and myself) are ranting & raving about these amazing peels. Most of my acne clients love mandelic peels....well this is mandelic & more!
Why Face Reality peels over other peels?
Face Reality peels are strong enough to have the exfoliation, antibacterial & skin lightening properties needed for acne, but gentle enough so the client can continue using their home care the next day. They are self-neutralizing peels that do not need to be washed off and this makes them less irritating.
I have had literally hundreds....probably thousands of chemical peels over the years struggling with acne prone skin. I have found some I love, but non compare to these Face Reality peels. They have also helped out the redness & pigmentation in my skin. I love how I don't have any downtime after (besides maybe a flake or two) & my skin looks fabulous the next day...I also stay oil free afterwards.
Are Face Reality peels just for acne?
Absolutely not. This blend of acids & ingredients is also amazing for anti-aging and for pigmentation.
Do not use your "active" products (serums or acne med) the night of your treatment. Since the peel is self-neutralizng, do not wash your face for 5-6 hours after.
How long to be off prescription products or accutane before treatments:
Depending on topical prescription products, you need to discontinue 2 weeks before starting Face Reality. Accutane needs to be discontinued for one month prior.
What is in Face Reality Peels: Acne Peel 1:
5 % TCA
blend of azelaic & kojic acids to lighten pigmentation
Acne Peel 2:
blend of azelaic & kojic acids to lighten pigmentation What is the downtime?
With acne peel 1 most clients do not get dry or irritated. If you were to have any "peeling" it would be light flaking, not peeling in big sheets. When you bump up to acne peel 2, you may experience more dryness & slight flaking. This peel is designed for little to no irritation and/or flaking. Just moisturize lots the next few days following.
Here are two different client feedbacks. I am telling you all....this peel changes the skincare game. My face stays sooooooo smooth, soft & oil free after. Come get your peel on at Skin Studio By Megan, certified Face Reality specialist.
It is finallly getting warm & sunny in the bluegrass...can I get an AMEN? With summer coming it calls for a blog post on tips & tricks for summer skincare. Although I love being out in the sun at the lake, I also love having no sun damage on my face. Luckily, when you play your cards right....you can enjoy both. Staying proactive and sun smart will save you from sun spots years down the road. Here are some tips and tricks for skincare in the summertime. 1) Exfoliate your dry winter skin away. Although in the summertime we do not want to do deep peels or laser treatments, it is a great time for a light chemical peel or microdermabrasion to remove the dead buildup of skin cells from the dryness of winter.
2) Switch your moisturizer: Usually in the summertime it is best to switch your moisturizer from the heavier winter creams to a lighter formula for summertime. I usually switch from Skin Scripts Ageless moisturizer or Acai Berry to the light aloe moisturizer for summer. The others are too heavy in the summertime and leave my skin more oily. Talk to your esthetician if you feel your moisturizer is too heavy this time of year.
3) Toner to cool down: This is my favorite tip. I LOVE Skin Scripts Cucumber Hydration Toner (the one every client says "I love the smell of that" after I spritz it during treatments"). I keep a bottle in my purse during the summer to spritz down and cool off while I am at the lake, pool and beach. Keep it stored in your fridge for an even cooler spritz down. Not only does this refresh your face, it will restore makeup and hydrate your skin at the same time.
4) Start slow in the sun: Make sure you start going out into the sun in small steps. You do not want to be outside in the sun all day long for this first time & fry like a little piggy. Skin cancer is no joke people. You need to build a tolerance to the sun so you do not damage your skin. 5) SPF: ALL DAY. EVERY DAY. Apply at least SPF 30 every two hours. I cannot stress this enough. It is so much easier to apply and prevent sun damage over removing it later with treatments & products. Also you are saving your life from skin cancer. I love brush on block. This is a mineral based SPF that you simply brush onto the skin. This translucent powder makes it so simple to reapply my SPF without messing up my makeup. Actually, it helps control my oil every time I apply...win! This is also great for kids & applying in the hairline. Skip the messy sprays with this mineral based sun protection. Get your brush on block at Skin Studio By Megan for $32...refills are $17
6) Antioxidants: Don't leave the house without antioxidant protection. A good Vitamin C serum helps protect from dangerous UV rays as well as lighten up pigmentation from previous sun damage. Vitamin C is a must for everyone daily. My favorite are iS Clinical Super Serum, iS Clinical Pro-Heal & Skin Script Vitamin C/Green Tea Serum.
7) Lash Lift. Lash Tint. Brow Tint:Look a little more "put together" when you are makeup free at the beach, pool, or lake. A lash lift curls your natural lashes making them appear longer & curled. A tint will darken your natural lash giving the appearance of mascara. Tinting your eyebrows will help them look more filled in. This is great for blondes or light hair. Lifts are $65 and will last 6-12 weeks. Get a lift and tint for $85. Eyelash tints alone of $20 and eyebrow tints are $15.
Get your skin ready for summertime. Hope you enjoy.
Did you know that the neck shows signs of aging & sun damage before the face? There is nothing worse than a frozen face and a saggy "turkey" neck. The neck along with the back are the most neglected areas of the body. Although I am only 26, I still take good care of my neck & use products to prevent spending fortunes on kybella later on in life...HA. I was beyond thrilled when one of my favorite skincare lines iS Clinical came out with a new product just for the neck. The neck & chest is an area in skincare lines that I really feel is slacking with products. Don't worry ladies and gentlemen, you can also use this on the décolleté and jawline to tighten it all up!
iS Clinical Neck Perfect Complex
tightening. sculpting. smoothing
Benefits: -restores firmness & elasticity -smoothes appearance of fine lines & wrinkles -appears more lifted, tightened & toned -reduces appearance of thing "crepey" skin -improves texture & discoloration -delivers intense & penetrating hydration -provides potent antioxidant protection -paraben free CALLING ALL BRIDES & BRIDESMAIDS....Don't settle for double chins on the biggest day of your life. Start on iS Clinicals Neck Perfect Complex a few months before your wedding to tighten & tone it all up.
I would love to clear up a few differences between lash lifting and lash extensions. Lash extensions have been very popular the past few years & while lash perming has been around for a long time, the new lifting technique is becoming popular. I am going to go over the pros & cons of each as well as some horrific pictures of lash extensions gone wrong.
Lash extensions are beautiful when done correctly. They are also very damaging when done incorrectly. Lash extensions are something that you really need to do research on who you go to. I also think that it is best to see before & after pictures from this lash artist. I cannot tell you how many clients come in with extensions and they look HORRIBLE. I want to cry or go scream at their lash artist. I have also had a few clients who have lost all of their natural eyelashes due to poorly done extensions. I personally do not do extensions due to a bad shoulder & the pain it causes with the long application process. I have done extensions in the past and have gotten them applied to myself. If you are in the Lexington, KY area I have lots of recommendations on who you should go to. Clients who do not know anything about extensions might not know what to look for, or things that are bad in extensions so I hope these pictures clear things up. These are from various lash artists with clients who come in from other artists, these are not the work of the artists name.
You should never have clumps of glue on your extensions. Also, cluster lashes are NOT eyelash extensions and are not supposed to last more than a day or two. If your lash "artist" offers clusters claiming to last longer than a few days, clearly they do not know proper extensions & I do not recommend going to them. HOWEVER volume lashes are okay & give the appearance of fuller lashes. This is where the artists creates "fans" and multiple lashes are applied to your natural lash. This is okay when done by a trained volume lash artist.
This last photo is an awesome example from Savannah Vaughn who lashes here in Lexington. She is great and offers volume & classic extensions. The name of her business is Skin Savy. She is amazing at lashing.
Extensions are great for those with short lashes who cannot lift. I also think it is great for clients who want a dramatic look. It saves so much time in the mornings not dealing with mascara. Extensions will last several weeks however they do require fill ins. The application process can be anywhere from 1-3 hours. The cons are they require maintenance, can have bad allergic reactions, long application process, if done incorrectly will cause damage, can cause irritation and they are not very natural. Pros are they look beautiful when done correctly, dramatic, less time spend in AM on makeup, you look great with no makeup, great for special events (weddings, photo shoots,etc.)
Lash lifting is permanently curling your natural lashes until they all shed naturally. Results will last 6-12 weeks. My client average is about 10 weeks between lifts. Lifts are much more natural looking. You can also tint the lashes after your lift if you have lighter lashes to give the appearance of mascara. This will last 4-6 weeks. Lifts are easier for some because they are maintenance free, unlike extensions requiring fill ins every few weeks. Also, I have never had a client have a bad reaction to the lift, with extensions lots are allergic to the glue used and can have an allergic reaction. Lash lifting takes around 30 minutes to an hour. If you have long lashes that criss cross & drive you nuts, lifts can help straighten & position your crazy lashes. I have only had about 5-10 clients who I had to turn away from a lash lift. This is because their lashes were too short for the perm. I always suggest Latisse or GrandeLash MD to help grow your lashes. The pros to lifting are it is maintenance free, no irritation, enhances your natural lashes, looks natural, gives the appearance of longer, fuller lashes. The cons are if the lashes are too short they cannot be lifted and if you are going for a false lash look, you may want to opt for extensions.
Here are some before & after photos of MY lash lifting work.
If you are unsure if you should have a lift or extensions come in for a free consultation with me & I can discuss which one is best for you & your lashes. Contact me Megan Johnson, LE at (859)619-2155. Happy lashing everyone.