Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2015

SHRINK THE APPEARANCE OF LARGE PORES

MYTH: Products that claim they shrink the size of the pore....that is IMPOSSIBLE. Pore size does not shrink or grow. However you can shrink the appearance of the pore. Pores seem large when they are filled with dead skin cells & sebum (oil). Pore size is genetically determined (thanks mom & dad for the big oily pores).Here are a few ways to help reduce the appearance of your pore size. 





1- Salicylic Acid Peels-
My 20% Salycilic Acid peel from Skin Scripts is amazing for oily skin. This peel is oil based and will dissolve the oil therefor making the pore size appear smaller. You can expect mild flaking with this peel for about 3-4 days. Some clients have no peeling at all. I LOVE this peel. Recommended for oily & acneic skin. 

2- Microdermabrasion
Microdermabrasion is polishing the top layers of the skin. The diamond wand tip gently sloughs off the top dead layers of the skin, while the vacuum suction pulls out debris inside the pores (dead skin cells, oil, dirt). By doing this, our pores appear much smaller instantly. Check out more information on microdermabrasion on my previous blog post HERE



3- Deep Cleansing
Facials are a great deep pore cleansing treatment. For at home, I recommend Clarisonic brushes for a good deep cleanse. I have had my Clarisonic for years (I change out the brush head) and have never had issues with it. It might be an investment for some...but it is worth every penny! Make sure not to over use your Clarisonic. 


4- Glycolic Peels
Glycolic Acid dissolves the desmosomes between cells to keep skin cells exfoliated. Also opens up acne impactions. By dissolving the desmosomes we are helping to shrink the appearance of the pore. 

5-Wear Sunscreen
UVA & UVB creates free radical damage which slows down cell production. Basically it makes your skin & pores look rough & flaky. My favorite sunscreen is ELTA MD.




6-Moisturize
Most people with large pores and/or oily skin are often afraid of using moisturizer. I always hear from clients well moisturizers break me out...WRONG. If your skin is dried out it will go into overdrive creating more oil leading to more breakouts. Talk to your esthetician and see if you are using the right moisturizer. Most clients are NOT because they hear about a great moisturizer from a friend or AD. About 99.9% of the time your friend who recommended a product has completely different skin then you. Just because products work well for them does not mean the product will benefit your skin.




7- Ice Cube Facials
I love doing ice cube facials, however I don't do them as often as I should. Take an ice cube, wrap in a paper towel & rub them over your face. It reduces inflammation (great for acne), reduces redness & shrinks the appearance of the pores. It has a nice tightening effect instantly on the skin. It gives the skin a fantastic glow. 



I hope these tricks & tips help you out. Make sure to consult with your esthetician about your skin type & the best treatment for you. I hope everyone is having a fabulous Sunday & a great weekend. My Sunday will consist of blogging, cleaning my house & watching Skin Scripts webinars, I LOVE that company & their educational webinars. 








No comments:

Post a Comment