Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Winter Skin

Winter means one thing...dry skin! All of my clients, family & friends have been asking tips & tricks to hydrate their skin this winter. In Lexington, KY we have been snowed in all week! This has definitely wreaked havoc on clients skin as well as mine. Here are just a few tips to beat those winter skin blues. Don't forget you can always give yourself an at home facial....I will list steps for that as well. So make yourself a hot cup of tea and enjoy this post.

1. Moisturize- I cannot stress this enough. I have so many clients complain about dry skin and they are only moisturizing at night...HELLO. Make sure you are at least moisturizing twice a day. Also make sure you are keeping up with your exfoliation treatments. If you remove the dead skin cells sitting on top of the skin, you will maximize your moisturizer. Try switching from a gel cleanser to cream cleanser or switch to a more hydrating moisturizer. 

Instead of your normal moisturizer try this



2.Exfoliate- Exfoliation is the key to healthy, youthful & clear skin. Make sure to keep up with your monthly microdermabrasions, peels & facials especially in the winter. Products will penetrate much deeper with clean, clear pores. I love Nitty Gritty from Clinical Care Skin Solutions. This highly effective formula polishes skin with Aluminum Oxide crystals, which are the same crystals used for microdermabrasion. If you are acne prone, try Scrubzit from the same company. 
Another great way to exfoliate is using a Clarisonic brush.Sure they are a bit pricey for some people, but they are amazing & definitely worth the money. I have had mine for years & it is still in perfect condition.

3. Sunscreen- Yes you need to still wear sunscreen EVERYDAY in the winter. It amazes me everytime someones says they don't need to wear it during the winter. The UV rays don't hibernate, they actually reflect off of the snow. 

4. Bath/Showers- Make sure you are using lukewarm water when taking a bath/shower. Hot water strips the skin and hair of natural moisture & oils. I am guilty of taking extremely hot showers. Make sure you are using an exfoliant not only on your face, but body as well. My favorite cheap body exoliant is Dr. Teals eucalyptus epson salts. You can get this at kroger, target, etc. Mix some in a warm bath or mix a handful into your favorite body wash and gently scrub into skin. 
5. Lips- Nothing is more annoying, painful & unattractive then chapped/cracked lips. Many chapsticks are actually drying to your lips, it feels good temporary but isn't healing long term. I have two favorites for winter lips. The first is hydrating with aquafor. I absolutely love this stuff. Every time I have a laserpeel or deep peel, this is my go to for healing my skin. This stuff is also great for chapped lips. If I have dry skin patches I always moisturize with this.
My second favorite is Clinical Care's Sugar Lips, its a lip exfoliant and plumper. Not to mention it tastes amazing. My husband is the chap stick king and he loves this stuff. 
6. Hydrate- I know I say this all the time but I cannot stress the importance of hydrating your body & skin. Keep a water bottle with you at all times. I used to track my daily intake when I first started to drink more H20...there are a few good apps I used to keep track. Also warm up this winter with a cup of hot tea. My favorite is Yogi Skin Health (for normal skin) and Yogi Skin Detox (for acne-prone skin). Last night I tried Aloe Water for the first time & was blown away how yummy it tasted (I hate coconut water). I love to spice things up with lemon water as well. 

At Home Facials- Try giving yourself an at home facial. Start by cleansing your skin using small circular motions. Next use your favorite exfoliant (Nittygritty, Scrubzit, clarisonic brush). Again, use small circular motions working the exfoliator into the skin. After rinsing, apply your favorite mask. While the mask is sitting on the skin, dampen a facial washcloth & heat in the microwave. I warm mine up in 30 second intervals, make sure to check the temperature before putting on your face. Apply the steam towel & let sit on skin for 10 minutes (this will help remove your mask). If you cannot remove the mask completely, cleanse the skin again. Next apply your serums (Vitamin C, lightening creams, etc.). Apply your moisturizer & follow up with a sunscreen. 

I hope you enjoy these winter skin tips & tricks. If you have any questions regarding your skin type & treatment, message me at skinstudiobymegan@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment