Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Skin Care Ingredients 101

SKIN CARE INGREDIENTS 101

Many people know certain ingredients are important in skin care but aren't really sure what they mean. Retinols, Salicylic Acids, Enzymes...we know we need to look out for these products...but do you know which ingredients are best for your skin? Here is a quick breakdown of common ingredients found in products & treatments and which skin type they are most suited for.

Antioxidant- Antioxidants are perfect for EVERYONE. Antioxidants prevent damage of free radicals. Free radicals are chemically unstable molecules caused by environmental pollutants and UV exposure which cause damage to the skin. Basically antioxidants fight off the bad guys. I love getting my antioxidants in with my Vitamin C serum & drinking lots of antioxidant packed foods & teas. 




Enzymes- Enzymes are mild, natural, and great for sensitive skin. Enzymes are ingredients designed to dissolve keratin proteins on the surface of the skin, resulting in exfoliation and softer, smoother skin. I love skin scripts enzymes. They are fruit based enzymes that smell amazing. I love to add them before a microdermabrasion or chemical peel. Here is a guide to Skin Scripts Enzymes that I use in the treatment room. 





Salicylic Acid- This ingredient is perfect for acne prone skin. It is anti-inflammatory &  great for reducing the appearance of large pores. Salicylic Acid penetrates into the pore dissolving dead skin cell buildup and promoting cellular turnover. However this is not suitable for dry skin since it is oil based. I like to use a Salicylic Acid based cleanser (Clinical Care's Cleanszit) along with monthly Salicylic Chemical Peels to keep oil and breakouts at bay. 



 


Benzoyl Peroxide- An acne fighting ingredient that is used to dry and exfoliate. Benzoyl Peroxide releases oxygen which helps in killing the bacteria that causes acne. I love to spot treat with Benzoyl Peroxide (since it can be drying I don't like to apply it all over my face). Be careful B.P can stain your sheets & pillow cases. 



Hyaluronic Acid- Hyaluronic Acid is suitable for all skin types. It binds moisture to the skin for an instant plump. My newest HA product I am loving is Skin Scripts hydrating ageless serum. Skin Ceuticals hydrating B5 serum has to be my all time favorite however. A good HA serum is perfect for extra hydration and preventing TEWL (transepidermal water loss). Skin scripts hydrating ageless serum can be applied all the way up to the lash line, preventing & helping milia. 


  


Lactic Acid- Lactic Acid is a derivative from milk. It is suitable for sensitive, dry & mature skin. It is a hydrating exfoliant that draws moisture from the dermis & surface. This is also a good product for a person with dry skin & acne. It lightens & brightens the skin.


Retinol- A form of Vitamin A to desquamate skin cells. It increases cellular turnover, increases collagen, evens skin tone, clears up acne impactions. Retinol is my favorite product that EVERYONE should be using. Many clients say retinols are too strong on their skin, however decreasing your usage or the percentage of active retinol in the product can help sensitivity. There is usually a form of retinol for everyone (even very sensitive skin). 


Glycolic Acid- This acid dissolves desmosomes between cells to keep skin cells exfoliated. This is a great solution to help purge closed comedones. It clears blocked pores, smoothes texture, and removes hyper pigmentation. I love Glycolic Acid and usually suggest Glycolic Peels to all my clients. 




I am currently LOVING these skin script retinol & glycolic pads. They retail for $22.50...could that price get any better? I have been testing these out for the past few days & I have decided to bring some in to retail so I can share the love with you all! These come with 50 pads that break up surface oil to refine pores and reveal fresh, healthy skin. Kojic and arbutin lighten sun spots and scars left from blemishes. Clear up those left over acne marks, current breakouts & pigmentation while stimulating collagen & elastin for fine lines & wrinkles. Miracle product?...I think so!

Of course there are TONS of ingredients to look out for in skin care products. These are just a few common ones I get questions on a lot. If you have any questions on skin care products or ingredients feel free to ask me. Email me at skinstudiobymegan@gmail.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment